Building Your Credibility & Getting More Clients With Local Media
We’ve all seen those “As Featured In…” lists on the websites of experts. Why do they put them on there? Who the heck cares?
It’s all for credibility and positioning. Letting your target market know that you’ve been featured in a magazine, newspaper, online information site or other media channel automatically gives you expert status in the mind of your visitors.
Listing top media outlets on your website and marketing materials is a great status boost. Don’t miss the opportunity to leverage your local media outlets to improve your marketing and get more clients.
There are a lot benefits to staying local when it comes to Public Relations or PR. First, it’s often easier to get opportunities in your local market than it is to chase national or international media. Second, there’s a good chance your target market will recognize you and search you out when seeing you on local media. Finally, it can serve as a stepping stone to get bigger opportunities later on.
How Do You Get Media Attention?
Networking your way onto to TV, radio, podcasts or in print media is the easiest way to get your foot in the door. Leveraging those you already know to make introductions to the hosts, individuals who work for the media or simply finding ways to get in the same room as these media personalities or decision makers can set you apart.
But, you need to have a story that is worth talking about! Too many business owners send out press releases or pitch stories that serve better as commercials or promotions than actual newsworthy content. These media outlets are looking for stories that appeal to their target viewer. You need to be able to deliver something worth airing or printing.
Here are some tips to create a great story pitch:
- Have real news to share. Don’t think everything needs to be “Breaking News” material but don’t solely rely on pitching your upcoming challenge. If you’ve read some new research or helped someone with a new concept or method for delivering results share it with your network.
- Be the first to the party. If you’re business is the first to integrate something new that helps people get results and you think it’s newsworthy make sure to share it. People love innovative companies and their ideas.
- Play off trends and hot topics. If there is a national or world wide trend that you are noticing popping up in media offer your help to provide a local perspective on the topic. Be available to provide content and you’ll get more publicity.
- Post people stories. Success stories, new hires, recognition gained, etc are all great chances to share success stories about people in the community with the media. It may not get picked up for the headline on the 6pm news but it will make the local business section.
Build Your PR Calendar
If you’re going to use PR as a way to get new leads you need a plan. Simply hoping you’ll remember to send out press releases or network with media won’t deliver results. You’re going to need to be persistent and consistent with your marketing via this channel.
Here’s how to tie your PR Calendar into your marketing calendar:
- Create 3-4 media themes for the year that relate to your Ideal Client
- Create a list of 10-12 small interesting marketing related themes for ongoing press releases
- Add in the media themes and press releases to your marketing calendar as a “promotion”
- Create a template for your one-page press releases to use
- Connect with your media network monthly by sending them your pitch or press release
Maximize Your PR Plan
The above PR calendar will help you stay top of mind with the media and give you a great shot at getting published or featured. However, if you want to maximize your success make sure you build relationships with your local media.
The first step is following up individually with the members of your network in the media. Start by following up monthly with them to check in and even congratulating them on a successful story. You can set up Google Alerts for articles or published content created by them or follow them and the media outlets on social media.
Once you get a feature or a little PR love from your network make sure to send them a hand written thank you note. This will go a long way in standing out and them remembering you the next time a fitness, nutrition or health story rolls across their desk.
Share their content and amplify their reach with your social media. Comment on their posts, share their content, and make sure you are seen interacting with them when it doesn’t involve promoting you or your business.
Want Help Building A Plan To Grow Your Business?
Schedule complimentary 60-Minute Discovery Call with an expert on the Fitness Revolution Team to help you find a solution to your growth challenges. On this call, you’ll be able to uncover the obstacles holding you back from reaching your goals and put a plan in place to overcome them. It’s time to end the guesswork and frustration so that you finally create the income and business you want.