Building A Fitness Business Team: What to do before hiring a manager
Growth comes in many forms. One of the keys for your success as you build a fitness business will be transitioning from the technician to the manager to the entrepreneur. Adding staff to your business will be a challenge at first, but the biggest challenge will come in the form of you transitioning to a manager role.
There’s a good chance you’ve never managed a team before now. You’ve always ‘just got things done’ because that’s what you do. As you bring on staff to fill in for all the non-management level tasks, your role will change more and more to manager. At some point, these positions will be highly developed so that on any single day, your business should be able function without you being there, as the everyday tasks will be taken care of by your well-trained staff.
However, you are still required to hold the business together when it comes to systems and people management. Systems management requires that you constantly evaluate that the systems you have in place function as you want and that you have developed and documented the systems required for smooth operation of the daily work that needs to get done in your business.
Systems management requires that:
- The completion plans you have are as detailed as necessary for both accuracy and ease of use
- Your filing systems (where people put documents and when) and client management systems are consistent and prevent loss of client information
- Your personal training systems not only optimize clients’ results but also are able to be understood and re-created by your coaches
- Your marketing systems bring in new leads
- Your sales systems to convert leads into clients
People management requires that:
- You consistently evaluate your staff to ensure they are able to follow your systems as written
- They are put in the best possible positions to be successful
- They are engaged and inspired to do their best every day
- They are empowered to develop personally and professionally to be more effective employees
During this phase of your business owners journey, you should be optimizing your management systems so that you can hire and train managers to replace you. Managers you hire should be trained on how to carry out these systems, manage their teams and delegate accordingly.
Want Help Developing Systems & Building A Team?
Schedule complimentary 60-Minute Discovery Call with an expert on the Fitness Revolution Team to help you find a solution to your growth challenges. On this call, you’ll be able to uncover the obstacles holding you back from reaching your goals and put a plan in place to overcome them. It’s time to end the guesswork and frustration so that you finally create the income and business you want.